How to mod a Megadrive 50/60hz VA4 revision
Modding a PAL SEGA Mega Drive for 60hz is quite straightforward, you can simply watch my video here for VA5 and VA6 revisoins.
SEGA Mega Drive PAL 60hz mod for VA5 VA6 – tutorial video
..however, if you’ve got a VA4 revision you’ll need to wire things up a little differently.
You only need three wires.
- Remember to cut the trace as shown below first!
- The Red wire is 5V connected to one side of the switch and to the pad shown.
- The Black wire is ground which is connected to the far side of the switch and connected to the ground pad shown.
- The Blue wire is the trigger wire which is wired to the middle of the switch and connected to the pad as shown.
- The switch then gets mounded into the factory hole in the rear of the case. I tighten the nut to hold it in place, then drop a few drips of lock tight on the whole area.
- Alternatively, you could incorporate these solder points into a switchless mod.